28 March 2011

Is this going overboard?

I had a thought as I was washing my hands just now that perhaps I should keep my own hand-drying towel on my person to avoid having to use the paper towels or my jeans every time a public bathroom fails to have a blow dryer.

If you can’t tell, I’m getting to be a reduce-reuse-recycle freak.  But is this too far over the line?  Should I just sacrifice my pants? (my trousers, for those of you who just laughed at that question?)

In the same ‘I probably had a stroke today because my sense of loving kindness for the whole world and everything in it is currently annoyingly gargantuan’ vein, (that was the best segue I could come up with for this non sequitur), I feel really, really sorry for Rebecca Black and I want her to know I wish her all the very best.

I will assume you are one of the millions upon millions of people who’ve already seen the Friday video.  If not, if you’ve missed this meme, this girl is getting hammered over this song.  She’s thirteen years old.  I had a very, very fragile ego at thirteen and I’m not sure I know anyone who would bear this kind of scorn pleasantly.  All things considered she is a picture of grace and ought to be applauded.

There’s no reason to be an asshole to this girl.  No reason to berate and tease.  She has other kids telling her she should slit her wrists and die.  What kind of world are we living in?

I could go on and on about revolutions and shark finning and global warming and wars and domestic violence and so many other things I can’t list them, but today all the weight of the world seems embodied in this poor, overtaxed soul.  I can’t imagine being her and I see people being hateful to other people so often and it just hurts my heart.

I don’t know quite why I felt the need to say this.  I know I said I wasn’t going to post every day.  Apparently I lied.

11 comments:

  1. what if your pants and dirty and you are wiping your clean hands on your dirty pants? hmm? and yes, we should all be nice to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, my pants are never dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait, your pants are never dirty, or your trousers...?
    >.<

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trousers, often dirty. Pants, always clean. TMI?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. Attack the video's quality, not the girl. She's just a teenager!
    Also, Hi. I came here from veryserious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why, hello there! Nice to meet you :). And absolutely - I never said the video was good. It's horrific. But no one deserves that kind of hatred.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously, I wonder who put that video together. I mean, where was the censorship of the parents or bigwigs? Someone needed to say that it is a completely annoying song. I am so glad that my (our?) mother told us when we sounded like crap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope she's our mother - otherwise I been lied to!

    But yeah, there was some serious delusion going on in that social network...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The way I see it this clever girl turned autotune and trolling into 42 (I know, right?) million views and probably a few million dollars. The discussion of some sort of veridical 'talent' is fine and all but as physicists are fond of saying about the loquacious philosopher: just do it. So I say auto-tunes all around and sing about anything this site hates!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You, sir, are a very intelligent man!

    ReplyDelete